Table of Contents
Avast High CPU Usage: Why does the Avast service use such a high CPU?
Avast high cpu usage: Since Avast Antivirus performs tasks like background scanning, virus removal, real-time scanning, and cleaning, it consumes most of your CPU resources. Undoubtedly, to keep your system safe from threats, this activity is essential, but when these processes occupy 100%, things become annoying for the CPU.
The most common causes of this behavior are: –
- Incorrectly configured system settings.
- Corrupted entries in the Windows registry
- The Ntoskrnl.exe process consumes huge RAM and CPU resources
This high CPU usage problem can be fixed manually and automatically. However, if you are looking for a way to save time, we recommend that you use the Advanced System Optimizer. This one-click PC cleaning tool and optimization tool help to fix common Windows problems. In addition, it fixes the corrupt Windows registry which is the most common cause of 100% CPU usage. Additionally, you can reclaim storage space, optimize disk, manage system resources, improve game performance, and do much more.
While antivirus protects your computer from malicious sites and viruses, you can take care of your anonymity online using proxies and VPN. Read proxy info to be aware of this issue.
Wondering how to fix Avast’s high CPU usage?
Do you think Avast uses a lot of your computer’s CPU memory and you want a clean solution to solve the Avast service high CPU usage problem? After viewing Avast with 100 disks, you may want to examine Avast’s Behavioral Protection memory. There are many reasons why you should deal with Avast’s high CPU usage or Avast’s high disk usage.
Hopefully, in this article we will solve the Avast Service high CPU usage issue. These easy-to-use troubleshooting instructions will help you fix Avast Antivirus Service high CPU usage issue in Windows 10/7. In case Avast is using idle CPU, follow these instructions.
How to fix Avast high CPU or disk usage problem?
Solution 1: remove the Avast cleaning tool
Avast Cleanup works like a real-time scanner and is the most important component. Helps users save space covered by apps running in the background. If you are facing high CPU usage, try uninstalling Avast cleanup. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Start Avast
- Go to Settings> Ingredients tab
- Click the down arrow next to Ingredients.
- Now you will see the option to remove, click Remove a component> OK.
- Confirm component uninstallation
- Restart the computer.
Check whether the Avast High CPU error has been resolved or not.
Solution 2: update Avast to the latest version
- Start Avast
- Click on the menu and select “Settings” from the drop-down list. Avast elevated CPU cleanup service
- General tab> Update tab
- Now you will get two update buttons. One of the buttons will update the virus definitions and the other will update the Avast antivirus
- Use both buttons to update the program and the database. Wait for the process to finish and follow the instructions on the screen.
- After doing this, check if the high CPU usage problem has been resolved or not.
Solution 3: Edit avast5.ini for Avast High-Service CPU Repair
Frequent background checks also load the RAM or CPU. If this is the cause of the Avast cleanup service, try a high CPU to change the scan frequency. This will disable background checks and definitely reduce high CPU usage.
To do that, follow the steps below:
- Type command prompt in Windows search bar
- Now click Run as administrator.
- Here enter the following command: C: \ ProgramData \ AvastSoftware \ Avast and press the Enter key.
- This will open the avast5.ini file.
- Here, at the end of the document, enter the following command: [GrimeFighter]: ScanFrequency = 999
- Save the file and restart your computer.
Now check whether the problem of high CPU usage has been resolved or not. If the problem persists, continue to the next step.
Solution 4: check if Avast Screensaver Scanning is active
Sometimes Avast Screensaver causes high CPU usage. To solve the problem, follow the steps below:
- Right-click any file in the script.
- This will open the scan results window with the scans running
- Find the Avast Screensaver scan and click the Stop button
- Now check whether the problem of high CPU usage is solved or not
Fix 5 – fix Avast from control panel
If nothing works, the best solution to the problem is to use Control Panel. Once the repair is completed, adjust the settings.
- Type control panel into the Windows search bar.
- Select the search result to open the Windows Control Panel.
- Here, change “View by Category”.
- Now, click on Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Find Avast> Uninstall.
- This will open the Uninstall wizard with two options: Repair and Change.
- Select Repair> Next and follow the instructions on the screen.
- This will restart Avast with default settings.
- Click Finish and restart your computer
Now check if the Avast Service high CPU issue is resolved or not.
Fix 6 – disable mail shield
Sometimes the Avast Mail Shield feature also leads to high CPU usage for Avast. To fix it, follow the steps below:
- Start Avast, and click the menu button
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu> Security.
- Click on Core Shields on the Protection tab and scroll down to find Mail Shield
- Uncheck all options
- When prompted to click indefinitely for some time
- Restart Avast and see if the problem is fixed or not.
Solution 7: disable update notifications
If Avast shows update notifications, you might be facing a major CPU usage issue. So, to fix the problem, follow the steps below:
- Start Avast
- Click the menu icon> Settings
- Performance tab> Software updater option on the right side panel
- Uncheck Notifications about new updates and close the window.
- Find out if the problem is solved or not.
Solution 8: remove unnecessary Avast plugins
To increase the functionality, Avast offers many additional functions. But these plugins sometimes require unnecessary resources. To fix it, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R.
- Now in the Run window, type Control Panel and hit Enter
- The offer must be by category. Otherwise, click on the down arrow next to View and select the Category option.
- Click Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Wait for the Avast window to appear.
- Here, select Edit
- In the corresponding window, deselect all the departure options: File shield, mail shield, web shield, behavior shield.
- Click the “Change” button and wait for the process to finish.
- After doing that, verify that the problem of high CPU usage should be resolved.
- Top Solutions for Steam Friends Network Unreachable
- 5 Best open source software of 2020
- Privacy and Security: What is the difference?
Veena is a prolific writer, blogger, and social media enthusiast known for her expertise in crafting engaging guest posts and managing successful blogs across various niches. With a passion for writing and a keen understanding of digital marketing trends, Veena has established herself as a prominent voice in the online community.