Many businesses are going to the cloud because it does things like
- Make scalability easier
- Cost less since they don’t have to worry about maintenance and upgrades
- Perform better
- Allow employees to access all kinds of files and make the experience easier for customers too
But you want your business to have a smooth time doing this. We at IT Solutions for Life Sciences Businesses in Boston are ready to help you figure out what your best moves are when it comes to migrating your business to the cloud.
Make Sure You Have a Good Strategy
This is probably the most important one out of all of these. You need to talk with all of your IT people to get on the same page. Topics of discussion need to center around how you are going to do the migration. You can:
- Rehost – This means that you just send your data and applications to the cloud. It’s the easiest way.
- Refactor – Here, you make tweaks to the apps to optimize them.
- Revise – You make more changes to the overall architecture and code of your system. This is not for beginners.
- Rebuild – You build new code from the ground up. This is lengthy.
- Replace – You get a third-party application and just send your data over.
Ensure That Your Cost Management Is On Point
There are things that you need to consider before you do the migration. What exactly are you going to be saving? What are you planning to spend your money on and what are you going to tuck away? The cloud is also constantly changing and evolving, which means that you might have to pay more if there are new things adopted or more people use the cloud. If you don’t pay attention to this, you could really hurt your company.
Research Your Cloud Vendors
The last thing you want to do when you are choosing a cloud vendor is to not know exactly what they do and what specific services they offer and then lock yourself into a long-term contract. Then you will learn that having to change from one vendor to another takes a very long time and it can also be very expensive. So save yourself a possibly arduous process and completely investigate the vendor before signing any contracts or handing over any money.
Do The Proper Security Measures on Your End
There might be the feeling that all you have to do is migrate to the cloud and the vendor starts handling everything immediately as far as security goes. No. That is not the case. You need to make sure that all of the security measures are configured and that they have set those security controls properly. Also, you need to closely monitor the actual migration process, since moving that much data can be risky.
Migrating to the cloud has its benefits, but you need to be on top of the whole process and also make sure that the IT experts are involved. Then it will be time to enjoy it.
Read more: 2 FREE Ways to Backup Computer to Clouds with Ease