Software development tools is crucial for businesses striving to grow in a competitive market. Whether small or large, well-integrated software plays a significant role in your business. According to the statistics a person spends 88% of mobile time apps, proving the rising need for technology software solutions in the market. It helps firms enhance sales and services, communicate directly, promote business, increase customer engagement, analyze data, and various other ways.
To have the right set of software development tools to develop custom software for your business is significant. Moreover, an accurate set of tools can convert your idea into a reality. So, in this article, we shall put forward various modern software development tools based on different categories.
Different types of software development tools
Software development tools have the following categories:
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Build Automation Tools
- Code and Text Editors
- Source Control Tools
- Automated Testing Tools
1. Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
Mainly, the Integrated Development Environment tool makes its efficiency highlighted to develop applications that merge developer tools into a single Graphical User Interface (GUI). It consists of a source code editor, debugger and local build automation. It is a user-friendly software where developers do not have to spend hours learning various utilities. From an easy-to-use interface to line-by-line code suggestions, it offers many beneficial features for its users. Furthermore, you can select an IDE based on the following factors:
- Number of supported programming languages
- Automation features
- Plugins and extensions
- Impact on system performance
- Supported Operating systems
2. Build Automation Tools
Software build tools are efficient enough to automate simple, repeatable tasks like downloading dependencies, compiling source code into binary code, running tests, etc. It automates the development of an executable application from source code. Some of the popular build tools that developers use are:
- Jenkins – It is an open-source automation server that automates all tasks related to building, testing, and deploying software.
- Apache Ant is a Java-based build tool developed to compile, assemble, test and discharge Java applications.
- Maven is an application providing project management and building functionalities, documentation, and reporting.
- BuildMaster is a continuous integration and deployment tool that assists you in developing applications in .NET, PHP, Java and Node.js.
3. Code and Text Editors
As the name suggests, code editors aid developers in coding. These softwares are text editors with certain extra functionalities to alter and manage code. It warns developers of any syntax errors and offers valuable suggestions.
Certain best code and text editors available are:
- Notepad++ is a free text editor that comes in a compact package and runs on Microsoft Windows.
- Atom is an open-source, cross-platform system that allows you to share and edit projects in real-time and contains a GitHub package.
- Sublime Text – It is an immensely lightweight text editor that provides remarkable features like search tools that you might not find in any other text editor.
4. Source Control Tools
Source control tools track and manage code changes and ensure developers always work on the right source code. It allows numerous developers to work on a common codebase wherein they can alter shared code without overwriting each other’s work.
Some of the best source control tools that developers use are:
- Git Source Control is a free, open-source control system that supports non-linear development and can efficiently manage small to large-scale projects.
- IBM Rational ClearCase is a client-server repository model that offers controlled access to software assets involving code, design documents, test plans and results, etc.
- Revision Control System – It can be considered a set of UNIX commands that permits multiple users to build and manage program documents or codes.
5. Automated Software Testing Tools
Certainly, automated testing significantly minimizes human labor and saves time by automatically executing test cases and creating test results. Moreover, you can run automated tests multiple times to test the same app while reducing redundant manual work resulting in the least errors.
Following are some of the top automated software testing tools:
- LambdaTest is the most effective web and desktop application automation tool that helps in cross-browser testing, both automatically and manually.
- TestComplete – This testing tool helps you create and execute functional UI tests through replay and recording capabilities.
- QMetry Automation Studio – Being one of the major software automation tools built on open-source frameworks, it brings reusability, efficiency and structure to automation efforts.
- TestProject – It is an end-to-end test automation platform to record, develop and analyze test automation.
Choosing the right software development tools plays a pivotal role in developing a software application, which can either make or break your project. So, while finding the tools for your software development, consider factors like usefulness, company standards, and integration; based on this, find the right tools from the list discussed above or from any particular products you prefer per your business requirements.