Are you searching for a way to convert EDB to PST? If so, your query is going to be resolved now. This guidebook will walk you through the Exchange EDB to PST conversion process. We will discuss manual and automated methods using the EDB to PST Converter. Let’s start with EDB files.
Exchange EDB is a database file used in an Exchange Server system to store emails, contacts, and other necessary data. While PST is a Microsoft Outlook file format used to store email messages, contacts, tasks, and other data on the computer.
Exchange EDB is a reliable database file type. However, accessing its data can be difficult in some situations, especially when your Exchange Server fails. At that time, the best solution is to extract PST from EDB.
Reasons to Convert Exchange EDB to PST
Before moving towards the conversion process, let’s know why you should convert EDB to PST.
- Converting EDB to PST allows users to access data saved in the EDB file when the EDB crashes.
- Converting EDB to PST allows users to create backup data, which ensures data loss prevention.
- Users may access and manage the data more easily and efficiently without accessing the Exchange Server.
- Converting EDB to PST allows users to recover valuable data from faulty or damaged EDB files, which makes it a convenient solution.
We have just seen the benefits of converting EDB to PST. Now, we should move to the process to export mailbox from EDB to PST.
How to Convert EDB to PST Manually
There are two methods to extract PST from EDB. Let’s discuss each in detail.
Method 1: Convert Exchange EDB to PST Using Exchange Admin Center
In this section, we are going to discuss how to export mailbox from EDB to PST
using the manual technique. Let’s discuss the steps:
- Log in as an administrator to Exchange Admin Center.
- Choose the Permissions tab, then Administrator Roles.
- Locate Recipient Management and select the plus (+) icon.
- Add the roles to the new Role Group wizard by clicking the Plus icon.
- Choose Mailbox Import Export as a role. Then, click OK.
- Go to the Recipients tab and select Mailboxes. Then select the mailbox you want to export.
- Choose Export to a PST file by clicking the more icon (…).
- Go to the mailbox you want to export and select a path.
- Tap Finish after selecting the mailbox.
Method 2: Use Exchange Management cmdlets in Exchange 2007 to Convert EDB to PST
- Download Ex-Merge Utility from the Microsoft official website.
- Launch the Ex-Merge Utility and press the Next button.
- Select the Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure) option from the Procedure Selection screen and click the Next button.
- Choose Extract data from an Exchange Server Mailbox from the Two-Step Procedure screen and click the Next button.
- Enter your Exchange Server credentials, such as server name, domain controller name, etc. in the Source Server window, and then click the Next button.
- Select the Import Procedure tab from the Data Selection Criteria screen, then select the option Archive data to target store and click the OK button.
- Select the mailbox to export from the Mailbox Selection and click the Next button.
- From the Target Directory Window, choose the folder where you want to save the PST file and click the Next button to get started with the EDB to PST conversion.
- When the process is finished, click the Finish button.
Note: You can follow the above instructions to convert EDB to PST, but it is a time-consuming process. After all, you can only convert the data up to 2GB.
There are some limitations of the manual method which you need to know before implementing it. Let’s discuss them in detail:
Limitations of converting EDB to PST Using the Manual Method
This method is not error-free and has significant disadvantages:
- You require to have the technical skills of EMS cmdlets to perform the task manually.
- If your EDB file is corrupted, this method won’t work for you.
- This method won’t work with older Exchange versions.
- There is a high risk of data loss.
- You can only convert one file at a time.
- It is a lengthy and time-consuming process.
As there is a risk with manual processes, professionals recommend using the automated solution. Using the EDB to PST Converter, helps users to convert EDB files to PST format without having technical skills. It allows you to convert multiple files at a time without affecting data integrity. You can convert EDB files in just a few clicks without any data loss risk. We have discussed both manual and professional solutions, let’s wind up the content in some words.
In this article, we have described two manual solutions to convert EDB to PST. But, if you can afford data loss risk then you can go for the manual solution. Otherwise, you can choose a safe and automated solution. Moreover, we have shared the complete information which helps you to choose the best option for you. Hope, you find the article helpful.
Read more: Best Ways to Remove PST File Password