Small businesses earn $3 in revenue for every $1.60 they spend on Google AdWords. This statistic alone could be a sign for many business owners and entrepreneurs to reevaluate their current strategy and start investing more into digital ad marketing. But there’s actually more to the situation than that mere statistic. In fact, copywriting plays a key role here. If your copy is good, you could attract more customers to your business and increase your revenue. Hence, here’s how you should improve your copywriting to attract more attention to your business.
Why Is Copywriting Important?
To better understand why you need to work on your copywriting as soon as possible, here are some ways your business can benefit from it:
- Copywriters understand who your customers are, what they want, and how they will react to your marketing efforts. By taking into account these factors, they can create copy that “speaks your audience’s language” and shows it that you understand their problems and want to solve them.
- Copywriters can reach your target audience and its different segments through a variety of channels, including online ads, social media, email, and more. This means that you will be getting maximum exposure online if your copywriting strategy is good and your copywriters are qualified professionals.
- Copywriters help you shape your brand image. Your marketing efforts are a reflection of your brand’s vision, mission, and values. Displaying these in your ads or emails or social media posts shows your audience (and your competitors) who you are and what you stand for. Moreover, copywriters could also shape your brand image into that of an authority in your niche which will increase your brand’s prestige.
- Copywriters can influence your company’s sales and increase your revenue. If your marketing efforts are successful, you will likely start selling more products or services, acquiring and retaining more customers, and expanding your business to new markets and audiences.
As you can see, copywriting can transform your business in the best way possible and help you grow and develop it. What follows are the five best practices you can use to improve your copywriting and start getting more attention to your business.
#1 Show, Don’t Tell
It’s a simple yet essential rule that’s easy to remember: show, don’t tell. Instead of simply making claims and expecting your audience to believe them, you need to demonstrate why these claims are true. Instruct your copywriting team to use:
- Examples: From case studies to your own achievements, examples can be a great way to show why your claim is valid.
- Social Proof: Testimonials and reviews (as well as other forms of user-generated content) can and should be used for marketing. In fact, social proof already works great for email marketing by increasing email signups.
- Visuals: The best way to use the rule “show, don’t tell”? Actually show your audience what you mean through visuals. It can be as simple as a photograph and as complex as an animated video.
#2 Get Down to Basics
Experts from the best online writing service sites will all tell you that at the core of good content and good copy lie the fundamentals of writing. This is why getting down to basics can be so effective. Here are some tips to follow:
- Edit copy ruthlessly and detect and spelling and grammar mistakes it may have. Online users tend to notice any spelling and grammar mistakes you make in your copy, and if there are any, they will be less likely to do business with you.
- Use simple language and shorter sentences. Not everyone has the right education to understand what you are trying to say, so you should avoid using rare words, jargon, and the like.
- Make your copy shorter and structure it by breaking up long chunks of text. Most people simply skim through content, so you’d probably want them to be able to do it faster.
#3 Do Your Research
One of the biggest mistakes you and your copywriting team could be making is not doing your research. For copywriting, proper research is essential – just like for content marketing. Good research allows you to:
- Know Your Audience: Copywriters who know their target audience will be able to write better copy. As will be discussed later, personalization can also play a big role in the success of your copywriting efforts.
- Know Your Competitors: You and your team should also know your competitors to be able to create and execute a successful copywriting strategy. This is only possible with proper research.
- Avoid False Claims: False claims can significantly undermine your status as an authority in your field. Moreover, by lying in your marketing, you could turn your audience against yourself.
#4 Find Your Purpose
As mentioned earlier, copywriters can shape your brand and reflect your vision, mission, and values in your copywriting. Experts from the websites ratings sites agree that giving your copy some kind of purpose could help you connect with your audience. Likewise, finding your purpose can be done in other ways, including:
- Copywriting Goals: What do you want to achieve with your copywriting strategy? Do you want to engage your audience or build trust or increase sales or something else? In addition to that, what do you want a particular piece of copy to achieve? Look at the big picture but consider the details too.
- Vision, Mission, Values: What does your brand stand for? Why do your customers buy from you? What values and beliefs do you share with your target audience? How can you make your audience connect with your brand emotionally through these values and beliefs?
#5 Call to Take Action
Last but not least, a good copywriter should never underestimate the importance of a proper call to take action. A CTA is what literally calls your audience to take action and makes them perform a particular task (e.g. subscribe to your email newsletter, watch a video, make a purchase).
Make your CTAs short and precise. You can use them multiple times throughout a single piece of copy, but don’t overdo it. Personalized calls to action are more effective than non-personalized ones. This is why it’s a good idea to use different CTAs for different segments of your audience when possible.
It’s easy to see how powerful copywriting can be once you start using it correctly. By applying the tips in this article to your own copywriting strategy, you will be able to improve it and get better results from it, including more brand exposure, increased revenue, and so on.