Capturing stunning video with a GoPro or similar is great, but if you don’t have a good action camera mic, your audio quality may suffer. Clear, high-quality sound is essential to take your GoPro videos to the next level.
Action Camera Microphone Attachment are the best attachments, built-in mics in action cameras are never so good. The same goes for virtually all video cameras on the market.
If you want good audio quality, you should look for a special accessory that lets you use an external microphone on your GoPro, DJI Osmo Pocket, or similar camera.
Table of Contents
Do you need an adapter?
Depending on your camera, you may need an adapter to use some of these microphones. Usually you need a 3.5mm jack input for audio. You probably use a GoPro, in which case you need this official GoPro adapter.
However, if you are using the DJI Osmo Pocket system, you will need this adapter from DJI.
Now let’s take a look at the best options for your audio needs.
How to connect an external microphone
The first hurdle to overcome is the lack of an audio jack. You need to get your audio signal into your action cam. Action cameras do not have an external microphone input. That means you need a microphone adapter to use an external microphone. However, some older or cheaper action cameras may not even have an option available.
How to Choose the Best Microphone Accessories for Action Cameras?
1. Power supply
The type of power supply is crucial when choosing microphone accessories for your camera. The available options are:
Batteries – Microphones with built-in batteries are best for short outdoor recordings, especially in places without electricity.
External Power – Microphones that use an external power source are ideal for long recording sessions.
Choose the one that best suits your needs.
2. Connection socket
There are many different types of connectors;
TS: Tip-Sleeve- 1 pin, used for mono signals
TRS: Tip-Ring-Sleeve- 2-pin, used for stereo signals
TRRS: Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve – 3-pin, used for microphone and audio signals
XLR: 3-pin, used for microphone and audio signals
So choose one based on your needs.
Your budget will depend on the features you’re looking for and how much you’re willing to spend.
For example, a basic microphone costs around $30, while a more advanced microphone with features like wind reduction and directional audio costs around $100.
Choose the best microphone accessories for your action cam based on your budget and needs.
Best Microphone Accessories for Action Camera
1. Rode Wireless GO II Single Channel Wireless Microphone System
- Wireless single-channel microphone system with built-in microphone
- 2.4 GHz Series IV digital transmission
- 128-bit encryption – Black
- Rechargeable batteries
- 1/8″ microphone inputs
The award-winning RØDE Wireless GO II is quite simply the best subminiature wireless audio system on the market. However you create content and whatever device you use, the Wireless GO II effortlessly enhances the quality of your content and delivers professional-grade sound every time.
The Wireless GO II takes wireless versatility to a new level. Connect to any device. Use the 3.5mm TRS analog output to connect cameras or other audio recorders, or connect to smartphones, tablets and computers via the USB-C digital audio output. It’s perfect for a whole range of content creation applications, including filmmaking, presenting on camera or on stage, vlogging, tiktoking, YouTube, live streaming and more.
With rock-solid wireless performance with a range of up to 200m and an all-digital transmission chain, the Wireless GO II delivers the highest quality streaming audio at all times. And with built-in recording on every transmitter, your audio is always safe, even in harsh conditions.
Accessing all of Wireless Go II’s advanced features is easy with the free RØDE Central app. Access your recordings, configure stations, adjust output levels and more – all from one easy-to-use interface. RØDE Central Mobile makes it easy to set everything up from your phone – perfect when you’re on location.
2. Rode VideoMic Pro R Camera-Mount Shotgun Microphone
- Brand RØDE Microphones
- Model name Videomic Pro Rycote
- Wired connectivity technology
- Connector Type 3.5mm Jack
- High pass filter and three level gain control
- Compatible Devices Camcorders, Cameras
- The black color
- Included Components Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shockmount
- Supercardioid shotgun condenser microphone optimized for camcorder use with built-in Rycote Lyre shock mount system
Offering a winning balance of professional features and unparalleled sound, the VideoMic Pro is an excellent option for recording both master and reference audio in a wide range of shooting situations.
The custom 1/2″ condenser capsule delivers ultra-clean, low-noise sound, while the super-cardioid polar pattern focuses on what’s in front of the camera, reducing side noise. Don’t compromise on your audio and take your content to the next level.
Professional features let you tune your sound for truly professional results. With a 2-stage high pass filter and 3-stage gain control, you can rest assured that your audio will always sound exactly the way you need it to.
3. Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Microphone
- Highly directional supercardioid shotgun microphone for isolated and enhanced in-camera sound for your video
- Integrated windshield and internal suspension to minimize handling noise
- Built-in low-cut filter and 3-position sensitivity switch for added flexibility and control in any environment
- Interchangeable 3.5mm TRS and TRRS connectivity for DSLR/M cameras or mobile devices
- Built-in headphone output jack with volume control for audio monitoring
Combining portability and performance, the MKE 400 sheds a whole new light on how audio is captured for video. Features that were traditionally accessories – like the windshield and shock absorbers – are now fully integrated. A low-cut filter and 3-position gain sensitivity switch help refine your sound while recording, and a headphone output with volume control helps dial in that sound.
The MKE 400’s supercardioid characteristic and acoustic interference tube suppress unwanted background noise and ensure the cleanest possible recordings for dialogue applications.
4. Polar Pro Promic Microphone Kit for GoPro
- Microphone kit includes: ProMic, right angle adapter, windscreen and wired Lavalier microphone
- Direct connection to Hero2, Hero3, Hero3 plus and Hero4
- Improves sound quality and levels of GoPro Audio
- Use Wired Lavalier Microphone When Wi-Fi Is On
- Brand Polar Pro
- XLR connectivity technology
- One way polar plot
- Item weight 0.15 pounds
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 2.76 x 1.97 x 0.39 inches
- Wired power source
- Signal to noise ratio 74dB
- Camera hardware platform
- Number of channels 1
The Promic is guaranteed to improve the sound quality of your GoPro videos. NOTE: To connect the microphone, the GoPro Frame, Skeleton or Bare Case must be used* The internal microphones of GoPro cameras have continued to improve with each camera release. However, as professional filmmakers know, the internal microphone will never reach the capabilities of an external microphone. External microphones will always outperform internal microphones in capturing crisp sound at loud sound levels. The ProMic does just that. By capturing higher sound levels and recording high definition audio, your GoPro videos have never looked better. The ProMic includes a fixed right-angle adapter, unlike any other product on the market, allowing you to keep the microphone steady and close to the camera for a sleek look. This helps keep your filming setup small and easy to use. The internal microphones still face a wind noise problem. It is difficult to dampen the rustling, and impossible to correct with editing software. Polar Pro has addressed this issue with a removable foam windscreen included with the ProMic that slides on securely when you need it. This is a major advantage when shooting at higher speeds or in windy conditions. This GoPro microphone is compatible with the Hero2, Hero3, Hero3+ and Hero4 cameras while filming with the skeleton or frame housings. It offers sturdy construction for long-term durability, without loss of aesthetic value. If you’re looking for a way to capture the best sound possible, the ProMic is for you. Whether you’re filming on the trails, on the circuit, or simply in your adventurous lifestyle, the ProMic ensures you capture the best audio quality possible. Comparison videos are available on the Polar Pro website.
5. Edutige Uni-Directional Microphone ETM-008
- UNIDIRECTIONAL: Unidirectional 3-pole (TRS) microphone for DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, GoPros, action cams and digital voice recorders
- HIGH-QUALITY AUDIO: Excellent signal-to-noise ratio, 69 dB+
- SMALL and DURABLE: Plug and play, gold-plated connector, durable metal body, no batteries required
- VERSATILE: Comes with a cable and clip for use as a lavalier microphone
- USE: Record interviews and meetings and create videos
- Brand EDUTIGE
- Connectivity Technology Tools
- 3.5 mm jack connection
- Special Feature Clip
- Compatible devices PC, camcorder, camera
- One-way polar pattern
- Audio sensitivity 69dB
- Item weight 61.8 grams
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 1.1 x 0.35 x 0.35 inch
- Power source Battery operated
The EDUTIGE ETM-008 is a unidirectional external microphone ideal for recording interviews and creating videos. The microphone only picks up sounds directly in front of the microphone. This means that other noises around you are suppressed and do not interfere with your recording.
This is perfect for anyone making vlogging videos as you only get the sound you want to make your video sound amazing. It also works great with digital voice recorders for recording lectures or for journalists recording interviews.
The ETM-008 works with 3.5mm 3-pole devices such as DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, GoPro action cams*, digital voice recorders, camcorders** and PCs.
Read more: Best External Camera Screen