If you are living in a household, it is likely that sooner or later, there will be some kind of emergency. This could be an incident involving your household appliances, medical issues such as asthma and allergies, household hazards such as poisoning and falls, and many more. Many household emergencies require urgent care. The good news is that many household emergencies can be prevented or mitigated with proper planning and preparation.
Poisoning is a household emergency that can be particularly dangerous, as small children and household animals are more likely to ingest household chemicals. Make sure you regularly check household cleaners, as these would not have been used by your household but could still prove dangerous if ingested or inhaled. These chemicals should be stored in a high cupboard out of reach from children and pets. If possible, also place a lock on the door of any cupboards storing hazardous chemicals.
Other household hazards which may cause poisoning include gas leaks from appliances such as stoves and ovens, carbon monoxide poisoning from fuel-burning appliances such as dryers and fireplaces, lead poisoning from old paint chips/dust, and insecticides. Ensure that all household appliances have been installed by a qualified technician, and are regularly maintained.
Falls and household accidents can occur in any household. They can cause long-lasting health problems such as head trauma, back pain, fractures or dislocation of the limbs, loss of consciousness, spinal injuries, and even death. Make sure that all household members are aware of household hazards such as slippery floors (particularly from water on the floor), tripping hazards such as loose rugs and electrical wires, and household appliances with exposed moving parts.
Preferably prevent these household hazards using good housekeeping practices: vacuum frequently to remove dust; ensure walkways or floors are kept clean and dry; ensure household appliances have their cords secured so that they do not trip over them; use wooden mats around areas of high moisture such as showers or bathtubs.
Emergencies that involve household appliances range from household appliance fires to household electrical shocks. During a household emergency involving household appliances, stay calm and immediately turn the power off to the appliance. If it is safe to do so, switch off the gas supply if you have an LPG device or a solid fuel stove. Assess whether anyone has been injured by household appliances that are still running even after turning them off.
Household appliance fires should be dealt with as soon as possible: ensure all household members know where the household fire extinguisher is kept; keep children away from household appliances that may be burning; make sure everyone is outside before using your household fire extinguisher.
Fires can break out in household fireplaces, electrical short circuits, and household appliances such as stoves and ovens. Keep all household members aware of what to do if there is a household fire: who should call for help; where the household fire extinguisher is kept; the location of any household evacuation plans.
In most cases, household fires can be dealt with by removing flammable items from around an appliance or fireplace which has caught on fire and using a household fire extinguisher to put out flames. However, suppose you have a house with rooms that are not easily accessible from one another (e.g., split-level houses). In that case, you will need to conduct a drill so that everyone knows how they should evacuate their household in case of a household emergency.
Electrical emergencies can be particularly hazardous to household members. The risk of household electrocution is high if:
- The household appliances are not installed and maintained competently by a qualified technician
- The household wiring is old or has been exposed to water damage
- The household electrical appliances have been damaged or exposed to water or moisture
- The household electrical appliances have loose connections that could cause electric shocks when you touch them
Before doing any household repair work such as re-wiring your house, you must consult a professional emergency electrician from Caboolture, so they can conduct an inspection of the household wiring and ensure household safety from potential household electrical hazards.
Allergy and asthma attacks usually occur when household members encounter household allergens or household irritants. Allergy sufferers need to regularly check household contents (such as household furnishings, carpets, etc.) for household items that can trigger an asthma attack or allergy. This will help you ensure your household is safe for everyone at home by reducing the risk of triggering an asthma attack or allergy.
Unfortunately, some household allergies are unavoidable in specific household environments (e.g., dust mites may be unavoidable in certain homes with an old carpet). However, if household allergens can be detected and removed from your household environment, you will reduce the risk of triggering asthma attacks or allergies in people in your household.
Household emergencies arise from household appliances, household fires, and household electrical shocks. During a household emergency, remain calm and do not forget to extinguish the household fire or turn off the household appliances. Make sure that your household members know what to do in case of a household emergency, such as evacuation plans and where the household fire extinguisher is kept.