Reserve IP Addresses: Due to the recent outbreak of the pandemic, Covid-19, all the working places, be it school, colleges, everything is shut right now, and hence people have gone for an alternative: Online(Internet), and therefore online classes, online meetings has become a new normal over the past few months, and for all of this reason, having WiFi in today’s modern lifestyle has become of much importance.
WiFi, short for Wireless Fidelity, is a medium to get access to the Internet. As the name suggests, it’s a wireless networking technology that allows various devices, be it laptops or mobile phones or equipment types, like printers, to interface with the Internet.
So before we move further, we need to know some basics, like
Table of Contents
• Connecting WiFi
This is pretty much simple. You need to find a WiFi network, enter the right password, and you are good to go! But how does this work? The WiFi network detects the device and assigns an IP address to it, but then there’s another question,
• What is an IP address, and how is it set?
Ever seen a series of numbers separated by dots on a website: 172.16.122.204 -> this is an IP address. This is a unique address that consists of 4 octets which means, 4 x 8 = 32 bit of binary numbers represented in
the decimal form (for instance, 172 in its binary format would be 10101100, and so the whole address would become: 10101100.00010000.01111010.11001100) ranging from 0 to
255, which allows the system to be recognized by other methods, connected via Internet Protocol. Now, the next question is how they are assigned.
So, now that our device has a WiFi network, we can access the public Internet, which means it can receive a public WiFi or hotspot internet connection as a source. In this way, it forms a WAN, short for Wide Area Network. In simple terms, we can say that WAN is a collection of LANs or such computers outside your network, and one such WAN is DHCP.
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), a network management protocol, which helps assign an IP address to a device. The assignments are of two types:
In Static IP address, as the name suggests, it stays the same, so here, the IP address remains as it is (the same) until your network architecture changes. It is assigned by the Internet Service Provider, whereas in the Dynamic IP address, it changes from time to time. This IP address is an automatically configured IP address assigned by a DHCP server to every new network node. One interesting thing to note about dynamic IP addresses is that ISP lets you use them temporarily. If this address is not in use, it can be automatically assigned to a different device.
To understand the basic difference between the two addresses, let’s take an example, for instance, an office has a static IP address, but each device would have a dynamic IP address.
Still, it’s better to have a static address because:
- Helps to keep unwanted devices out of network.
- It’s easier to set up and manage with DNS servers.
- In Static IP addresses, services can match the IP address with its physical location. For example, more precise local weather reports.
- Allows you to use several other services on the devices.
- In Static IP addresses, a small interruption in the connection usually does not terminate the packet exchange with the service, which proves its stability.
- Hosting -> As there is no change of IP address, this is suitable for applications that use Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP), gaming applications, and Virtual Private Network(VPN).
- The IP address will not change on connecting even after rebooting.
- Now that we know all of these let’s come to the main point.
- Reserve IP Addresses:
- The reservation process varies from router to router. Port Forwarding allows the router of one’s WiFi network to put up firewalls to reject the entry of any other external connections.
• IP Reservation Process:
1. Click on the WiFi option
2. Go on to Settings
3. Click on advanced networking
4. Click on ‘Add IP reservation’ In DHCP IP reservation
5. Click on the device which requires a static IP address
6. Enter a suitable IP address
7. Click on Save
But, before this, do make sure that your device is disconnected. On reconnecting, the reservation will be made.
As our reservation is made, we need to keep a few things in mind, such as that the preservation of IP addresses is temporary by default. The lease allows a device to use an IP address on the WiFi network, known as renting an IP address. Use this link to know about 126.96.36.199 IP login username and password guide. If you want to reserve IP addresses beyond the stipulated lease duration, it will require permission, and this renewal can be done multiple times.
Also read about: 3 Signs You Need an Antenna Booster