We use our Windows computer on a daily basis and create hundreds and thousands of files. There are files that we need frequently while others are to be kept secretly in hidden folders. For files that are frequently to be used, we keep them wither on the desktop or create a shortcut for quick access. Lets discuss desktop shortcuts on windows 10.
Creating a lot of shortcuts on our desktop may ruin the looks of our desktop background and clutter space on the background. It’s easy to uninstall software from Windows 10 or delete unwanted files however if you wish to keep them for a longer run, you can hide these files or Windows 10 desktop icons and show desktop Shortcut as and whenever required. Let’s explore quick ways to create Windows 10 Desktop Icons, show desktop Shortcut as and when required, and hide them with keyboard shortcuts.
Table of Contents
Show Desktop Shortcuts (Default)
There are a few desktop icons in Windows 10 that comes default with the Windows operating system. You can select between these icons as to what to show or whatnot.
The process of showing desktop shortcuts is simple. You just need to right-click on the desktop background, click on View, and then click on Show Desktop Icons. If you wish to show or hide specific icons, you can follow these steps.
- Step 1: Click on the Start button and then click on the Gear Icon for Settings.
- Step 2: Click on Personalization and then click on the Themes option in the left-hand side panel.
- Step 3: Scroll down and under Related Settings, click on the Desktop Icon Settings.
- Step 4: Here you can put a check in front of the icons that you wish to see on the Desktop.
- Step 5: Once selected, click on Apply and Okay to make changes.
Peek Preview Desktop
By default, the Peek Preview Desktop option is enabled in Windows 7 and earlier versions. You can simply hover mouse pointer on this button and it will minimize all the windows to show the desktop. If you do not see the button, you can enable it from the Settings menu.
- Step 1: Press (Win + I) to open the Settings window.
- Step 2: Go to Personalization and select Taskbar in the left-hand side window.
- Step 3: Toggle ON the Peek Preview button in the right-hand side list. (Third option from the top)
When you mouse over the button on the right-hand side bottom, it will show you the Desktop screen. If you click, it will minimize all the windows and you will reach the Desktop.
Also read:How to Get Free up Space on Your Phone
Add the Show Desktop Shortcut
By default, the Show Desktop Shortcut is saved in the Quick Launch folder of Windows. You can go to this path and copy-paste the shortcut on your desktop to toggle between the desktop and open items.
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
You need to replace the user name with your user name and enter this address in the address bar on the Windows Explorer window.
Create a Desktop Shortcut
There are several ways to create a desktop shortcut on your background for files or apps that you use frequently. Whenever you install an app, it gives you an option to create a desktop shortcut, add a shortcut in the start menu list or skip it. If you have not created a shortcut, you can create it now. The easiest way just a few clicks away.
- Step 1. Click on the Start button and right-click on any of the programs.
- Step 2. In the dropdown options, click on ‘More’ and then click on ‘Open File Location’ option.
- Step 3. In the Windows Explorer folder, right-click on any of the applications and click on Send To, select Desktop (Create Shortcut). A new Windows 10 Desktop Icon will appear on the desktop screen.
Keyboard Shortcut to Show Desktop
There are a few keyboard shortcuts that should be handy with everyone. The Win key on the keyboard has a lot of combinations to furnish different tasks. And one of them is to show desktop shortcuts.
You can Press (Win + D) to minimize all the open windows and directly reach the desktop screen. Pressing it as one more time will bring you back to the same window.
Show Desktop from Taskbar
It’s easy to show desktop from the Taskbar menu. Right-clicking on the taskbar gives you a list of options to perform and one of them is Show Desktop. Simply Right-click on taskbar and click on Show the Desktop option.
Now that was easy to show desktop Shortcut and manage Windows 10 Desktop Icons. Now that you know how to show Desktop shortcuts on Windows 10 you can tweak the settings according to your requirements and try all the smart ways to show desktop Shortcut. Happy Computing!