Summary: Do you want to Backup IMAP Emails to PST files? This blog will provide an adequate approach to backup your IMAP emails manually and using the IMAP backup software. So read this article carefully to get the best and instant solutions regarding the same.
Table of Contents
Internet Message Access Protocol is a standard protocol that allows users to access their emails. Email services such as Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc., are the email services that save their data into OST format locally when configured with IMAP. By using IMAP, you can read your email messages without downloading them on your computer, and are also flexible to move or delete emails.
However, IMAP data can also be affected like other client’s data. Therefore, there is a need to create a backup of the IMAP mailbox which contains the crucial data. Also, MS Outlook is the most reliable approach to export IMAP to Outlook PST. In the next section, we will discuss the reasons.
Reasons to Save IMAP Emails to PST
- PST file is a secure way to backup your IMAP mailbox data into the system.
- You can also prevent your .pst file by setting up the password in your PST file.
- Creating a backup by exporting the data into PST file format provides more security.
In this section, we’ve discussed the reason to save IMAP emails locally. Sometimes, users also prefer to migrate IMAP to Office 365 admin center for backup purposes. However, saving IMAP emails to PST format is a reliable approach to back up the emails of IMAP-supported email clients. Now, in the upcoming paragraph, we will discuss the process of exporting IMAP emails to PST format.
How to Export IMAP to PST in Outlook?
We have several manual methods through which we can Export IMAP to Outlook PST. In this section, we will discuss one of the best manual methods to Export IMAP emails to PST format.
Method 1: Export IMAP Mailbox Using MS Outlook
- First, you have to add your IMAP account with MS Outlook.
- After configuring the account successfully, move to the File menu.
- Then, click on the Open & Export button.
- After that, select the Export/Import option and click on the Export to a File option.
- Then choose the Outlook Data file (.pst) and press the Next button.
- After that, select the Folders of your choice that you want to export and click on the Next tab.
- Now, provide the Destination path to export your file.
- At last, click on Finish to export the IMAP email to PST files.
The above method can only perform with the help of using Outlook. Although, if you face any difficulty while performing this method. In such a case, you can also go with another way mentioned below.
Method 2: By Changing IMAP Setting to POP
Changing the IMAP setting to POP is another way to backup your IMAP mails to PST. For setting up a POP3 account, the user must have the details of the configuration server.
- Change your outlook settings from IMAP to POP3
- After that, modify the account manually using the correct Server Settings.
- After this, all the emails of the IMAP account will be saved automatically in the PST file.
Here we see those manual methods that are free for us to convert our IMAP mailbox to PST. However, at the same time, we also realize that manual methods have several limitations like:
- It is a time-consuming process.
- There is no advanced feature in the manual method to filter our data.
- It also requires some technical skills to perform the manual correctly.
Therefore, some experts suggested going with the professional approach, which is more secure and consists of many advanced features.
Professional Approach to Backup IMAP Mailbox
IMAP Backup Tool is an automated solution to back up your IMAP emails. This software has many advanced features like you can convert your emails into different file formats like PST, PDF, EML, MSG, MBOX, etc. You can also transfer IMAP emails into several email clients. Also, the software allows you to extract all the duplicate files that occur more than once in a migration process. Moreover, it also facilitated you to skip the attachment files in the migration process.
In this article, we’ve discussed the two manual approaches and one professional approach to backup IMAP emails to PST. Moreover, we’ve also discussed the advantages of using Outlook to save IMAP emails locally. Furthermore, users can also evaluate the software working by installing the free demo version of the software.