The e-commerce business is expanding due to rising internet and smartphone usage. To draw customers and keep them stick to their brands, modern companies are frequently under pressure to provide the best online experience possible. Guaranteeing a reliable, quick, and easy shipping route would be one of the simplest yet most difficult ways to accomplish this. This is why e-commerce businesses, from small startups to established giants, concentrate on improving and growing their warehouses and logistics networks.
This blog post aims to prepare you better so that you may use automated dimensioning technologies to build a memorable e-commerce experience.
Table of Contents
The pandemic has significantly altered the retail industry, transforming the buying process and consumer psychology about shipping expectations. Therefore, it is essential to comprehend the new mindset to promote and sell products through digital channels. And the first step is to completely outfit the warehouse so it can stock more products without sacrificing operational effectiveness or driving up transportation costs.
What is e-commerce warehousing?
eCommerce warehousing involves storing goods and adding data about them to the website. The products’ movements are subsequently traced, providing information about their travels until they arrive at customers’ doorsteps. Warehouses should modernize or revamp their technologies due to today’s pandemic-influenced retail concerns. They must obtain in-depth information on inventory status, product location, delivery estimation based on amount and distance, and invoicing data. In a nutshell, eCommerce warehousing manages all warehouse processes to ensure a seamless workflow.
Benefits of e-commerce warehousing:
Online purchasing has experienced an unprecedented upsurge in this digital era. The e-commerce sector’s expansion over the last five years has drastically benefited the warehouse and logistics sector.
Some of the amazing e-commerce warehouse management systems benefits are listed below:
- Quick shipping: Nearly 90% of customers expect their orders to be transported and delivered quickly. Hence warehouses are necessary to ensure rapid delivery. The company increases customer happiness, loyalty, and retention through quick shipping. The products can be rapidly dispatched to the nearest warehousing facilities utilizing the e-commerce warehouse management system; as a result, they will deliver products to the customer’s door within a day or two.
- Better inventory management: Scalable storage is possible in a single location thanks to an automated warehousing system’s unique value offer. With comprehensive inventory management, the stored items may be simply monitored to prevent damage and start rapid dispatching.
- Rapid order fulfillment and tracking: Faster order delivery can occasionally be lavish. After all, when people shop online, they want their orders to be processed quickly and without a hitch. However, the tracking procedure starts as soon as the goods are prepared for shipping. Automated e-commerce warehouse capabilities let clients track their orders and communicate with logistics companies from when they make an order until it arrives at their house.
Impact of e-commerce on the warehouse industry
The expansion of e-commerce has made warehouses and distribution hubs more complicated and collaborative. As a result, it has provided additional justifications. Let’s look at a few factors that can give you a head start.
Choosing the right warehouse location:
Choosing the ideal warehouse location in the e-commerce sector can be challenging. With high-order statistics enrolled in a zonal position, the warehouses are built. Shipping prices and the time it takes to deliver an order may change if the warehouses are too far from the customer’s location.
Understanding the purchase pattern:
One of the most important criteria for choosing an effective warehouse is evaluating seasonal product demands. The worst-case scenario for e-commerce warehouses is overstocking products if there are no insights into customer behavior. Therefore, it would be excellent if you had in-depth knowledge of the buying foundation for your e-commerce organization.
Ensuring full-time operation:
There are no holidays because of the persistent operational routines of e-commerce. Customers profit from the 24/7 mentality because they can place their orders whenever possible. This operating style forces warehouse owners to maintain delivery speed as large warehouses receive vast orders. It would be difficult to hit your sales goals if you didn’t have a round-a-clock service protocol.
Adopting automation technologies:
Many diverse operations are dealt with in warehouses; some are recurring, such as picking up and receiving the items. With the right automation tools, you may enhance productivity and expedite delivery while maintaining operations continuously. In addition, enabling automation can significantly curtail manual error rates.
Advantages of adopting warehousing automation technologies:
- Increased speed: Utilizing automation technologies helps speed up the fulfillment of online orders by warehouses. Additionally, it simplifies and expedites the procedures for managing inventory.
- Reduced costs: Cost-cutting will always be a top concern for warehouse owners and e-commerce companies. However, warehouse automation can let businesses operate seamlessly. In addition, adopting automated warehousing solutions can also completely remove any costs associated with unplanned disasters on the property, which is a very practical benefit.
- Space optimization: Automation in the warehouse boosts available space. Because of this, warehouse managers are increasingly trying to use robots and drones to carry out various duties, including calculating the pallet size to allow the space to store products, lifting large packages, and moving goods from one location to another.
When it comes to space utilization, size is paramount in the warehouse. To better organize your warehouse, you need proper package data, and to that right, you need to deploy the right parcel sizing systems in your warehouse.
So, why do e-commerce firms need to deploy a parcel sizing system?
The growth of online purchases has exploded in the recent decade; as a result, online shopping has become a new norm among people. From this perspective, eCommerce firms need to bear two things in mind: speedy order fulfillment and improved quality management. Additionally, rising storage costs compel many shippers to look for greater space to store more goods. By lowering the dimensional weight (DIM) and package sizes, you can eliminate storage problems and irrational transportation costs. Calculating the cubic package size and dividing it by the dimensional factor yields the DIM weight. Because of their speed and accuracy, warehouses would benefit more from employing parcel sizing systems to estimate package size data.
What is a parcel sizing system?
The parcel sizing system is more than just warehouse technology’s newest catchphrase. These solutions serve as potent accelerators for measurable corporate growth. In the shortest amount of time feasible, an efficient automated dimensioning system can measure the packages’ length, width, height and parcel weight. Additionally, they can be coupled with other devices such as label printers, barcode scanners, weighing machines, and other shipping software.
Large freight and package parcel sizing systems are the two categories into which these parcel sizing systems fall. Package dimensioners are another name for huge freight parcel sizing systems. Crates and pallets are measured using them. These parcel sizing systems can be connected to external devices like barcode scanners and weighing scales to track and estimate the pallets’ precise weight and pertinent information. Additionally, these statistics are used to calculate the amount of space needed during the shipment process.
The parcel dimensioners are used to measure small-size packages of various irregular forms, including cubes, cuboids, polybags, and other packages. Other names for these dimensioners are parcel dimensioners. In less than a second, the parcel dimensioners can calculate the dimensional data, take a picture of the product, and find any flaws.
In addition to this, below are the top three reasons why eCommerce firms choose parcel sizing systems in their workspace:
Increased accuracy and efficiency:
The shipping operations’ success mostly relies on warehouse accuracy. Therefore, there is no hope of lowering transportation costs without precise dimensional measurements. However, with the correct parcel sizing systems, it is possible to estimate the dimensions of length, height, width, and parcel weight in a flash.
Effective cost-saving and reduced blunders:
Any warehouse’s primary focus is cutting costs. Automating the warehouse can reduce manual work demand, lowering average labor costs. The tape and ruler method, which is labor-intensive and prone to measuring errors, is still used in older warehouses to measure parcels. Warehouse By using parcel sizing systems, warehouses may immediately minimize such errors and reduce shipping costs sees may immediately minimize such errors and reduce shipping costs by using parcel sizing systems.
Customers’ buying experiences have surely changed because of eCommerce. But the warehouse is where the action takes place. If you truly comprehend your customers’ mindsets, you may already know the urgent need for quick and flawless shipping routes to produce unforgettable customer experiences. Innovative e-commerce companies are looking to employ automated dimensioning capabilities to rethink their warehouse systems. At the end of the day, all they need to deliver quickly for their clients is ease and quickness.