Tips for Starting a Company from Home

Starting a Company

Last Updated on January 19, 2024 by Team Experts

Select a company structure.

It’s critical to determine the proper structure for your business type before beginning a small business. Sole traders, partnerships, corporations, and trusts are the most frequent business formations.

Operating as a sole trader is the most straightforward and cost-effective business form. You run and manage the company, and even if you’re self-employed, you may still hire individuals to work for you. Find out more about starting a business as a sole trader.

If you’ve concluded that a limited partnership is an ideal structure for your company, you’ll need to register it with the NSW Fair Trading Registry Services.

Alternatively, if you think that a limited company structure is the best option for your firm, you’ll need to register it with the Australian government.

A trust is a legal agreement that requires one person or entity (the trustee) to hold property for the benefit of another (the beneficiary). The trustee might be a person or a business, with the latter offering some asset protection. Find out how to set up a trust company structure.

If you’ve determined that forming a co-operative is the best option for your company, you’ll need to register it with NSW Fair Trading’s Registry Services.

Visit the Australian Government Business website for further information, or contact a business adviser through the NSW Government Business Connect program.

Apply for an ABN.

Determine if you’ll need to apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN). You are not required to obtain an ABN, but having one allows you to claim GST credits, energy grant credits, and register an Australian domain name, among other things.

Fill out an application for an AUSkey.

An Administrator AUSkey is a one-of-a-kind secure login associated with an Australian Company Number (ABN) that allows you to view and communicate business data to the government through the internet.

Obtain a company name registration.

You can register your business name unless you’re a sole trader or partnership and your business name is precisely the same as your first and last names (or yours and your partners’). To register your business entity, you’ll need an ABN or ABN application number.

Examine the prerequisites for licensure.

Special registrations or licenses are required for some forms of home companies.

Check the Australian Company Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) website for licensing and other requirements specific to your kind of business and your local council region.

Check to see whether you need permission from the local government.

Home-run companies that satisfy specified conditions and have no negative influence on the surrounding environment (such as noise, traffic, parking, trash, odor, fumes, or signs) are exempt from development permission and can operate without it. If your business isn’t exempt, contact your local government to find out what permits you’ll need to run your home business. Home childcare centers, beauty and skin penetration treatments, and food enterprises all have distinct council permission procedures.

In addition, you should verify with your local council about the particular rules for bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals such as Airbnb, and campsites, home occupation (sex services), and sex services establishments such as brothels.

Using a rental property to run a home business.

If you’re running a home business out of a place you don’t own, such as public housing, you may require permission from the owner, body corporate, or landlord to conduct the business and/or show any signage. Find out when you might need to get approval as a renter.

Recruiting workers.

If you have or intend to recruit staff, make sure you understand and can meet all of their responsibilities (including but not limited to payslips, taxation, contracts, superannuation, and work health and safety). Find out more about your responsibilities as an employer.

Register for GST if required.

If your GST sales are $75,000 or more, you must register your business for the Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Request a TFN for your company.

You’ll need to apply for a business Tax File Number if you’ve settled on a partnership, corporation, or trust structure for your firm.

Other tax obligations

Check with the Australian Taxation Office or your accountant to learn about what tax obligations you have for your home company.


Consider what insurance coverage you require and double-check that you have adequate coverage for your company operations. Your home business, for example, may not be covered by your homeowner’s insurance. Get a better understanding of sole trader insurance by comparing quotes and providers online.

Obtain a trademark registration

Consider registering a trademark if it is appropriate for your company. A trademark (also known as a brand) is how you identify yourself to your customers and the general public.

Protect your intellectual property

Consider the IP protection choices and techniques that are relevant to your company’s needs. IP Australia, the Australian government office in charge of patents, trademarks, designs, and plant breeder’s rights, may be contacted.

Prepare for the worst-case scenario

Check out the Get Ready Business tools to make sure your company is ready for any unforeseen crises or natural catastrophes. This will entail frequently backing up your computer data to the cloud and keeping backups of important business papers in a secure location.

Join a professional body

Consider joining a professional group for your industry, a home business network, or a local Chamber of Commerce.

Disposal of waste

If your business generates waste or pollution of any type (including, but not limited to, water, grease, chemicals, trash, or odor), you must guarantee that it is disposed of lawfully and correctly.

Check pricing compliance

Check that your company complies with the standards for displaying or promoting pricing. Pricing regulations must be followed, and prices must be shown correctly and clearly.


If you are in Australia on a visa, you may be subject to restrictions that limit your ability to start and manage a business. Check your existing visa or go to the Department of Home Affairs to see if you are qualified to start a company.

Also Read: Microsoft Outlook Error [pii_email_cbd448bbd34c985e423c]

Subscribe Now!

Get the latest Tech info straight to your inbox.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription.

Spread the love

She has over 7 years of experience writing about technology, education, digital marketing, general and business. Her experience in the tech industry (fieldengineer, wowtechub, techsprohub, techinfobeez) has taught her how to write engaging, informative content that makes complex issues accessible to a wide audience. Follow her on Linkedin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Exit mobile version