Bones are an important part of life. You need strong bones to walk, jump, stand, sit, lift an object, play, swim, run, kick and many more things. But due to daily life chores, our bones go through wear and tear. This is the reason we must maintain healthy and strong bones. So, in this blog, we are going to guide you on the reasons that affect bone health and what you can do to keep your bones healthy.
Table of Contents
Why is Bone Health Important?
Bones support the body’s structure and shield the main organs of the human body. This is the reason why bone health is crucial and we need to maintain strong bones. Important minerals like calcium and phosphorus, which are necessary for many body processes, are also stored in them.
Healthy bones are less prone to fracture when there is a small injury or trauma. On the other hand, if a person is suffering from osteoporosis, they are more likely to break their bone which can ultimately result in fractures. Osteoporosis is a result of weak and fragile bones.
Bone health is crucial for preserving mobility and independence, minimizing chronic pain, and preventing disability in addition to physical health. In order to maintain strong bones throughout your life, it is essential to eat right, exercise and practice other positive lifestyle choices.
What factors affect my bone health?
There are certain factors that affect your bone health. This can include your genetic as well as physical modifications. Your bone health may be impacted by a number of variables that include –
- Age: Your bones lose density and become more brittle as you age, increasing your risk of fractures and other bone-related issues. The reason behind this can be your weak immune system. Osteoarthritis is one of the major problems experienced by old age people.
- Gender: Because of the hormonal changes during menopause, women are more likely than males to experience bone loss.
- Genetics: Your bone health may be impacted by your genetic makeup and family history. You may be more likely to develop osteoporosis or other bone diseases if you have a family history of them.
- Nutrition: Calcium, vitamin D, as well as other minerals such as Magnesium, Phosphorus and Sodium, are essential nutrients for strong bones. Your bone health may suffer from osteoporosis if you don’t consume enough of these nutrients.
- Physical Activity: Exercising on a regular basis can assist preserve bone strength and density. You can experience bone loss through inactivity or a sedentary lifestyle.
- Medical diseases and medicines: Certain medical problems and prescription drugs may have an impact on bone health. For instance, specific cancer or autoimmune disorder treatments can cause bone loss, and diseases like rheumatoid arthritis can also impact bone health.
- Others: Smoking, heavy alcohol use, and a diet high in processed foods and poor in nutrients are all examples of lifestyle practices that can harm bone health.
These are some of the reasons that can affect your bone health. Some of the factors such as exercising, nutrition, smoking, etc can be managed and improved for strong and healthy bones whereas some factors such as age, gender, genetics, etc. cannot be changed. It is crucial to be aware of these factors and take precautions to preserve good bone health over the course of your life.
Tips to improve your bone health
There are many factors that you can prevent and maintain your healthy bones. To keep yourself moving and live an active lifestyle, it is important for you to keep your bones healthy. Here are some best 7 tips to enhance your bone health.
#Tip 1 – Obtain enough calcium and vitamin D – Both substances are necessary for developing and maintaining healthy bones. Calcium can be obtained from dairy products, leafy green vegetables fortified foods, sardines, etc. and Vitamin D is obtained from fatty fish, fortified meals, sunlight exposure, nuts, etc. Vitamin D helps in the absorption of Calcium and Calcium helps in building and developing strong bones. You must consult an orthopedic doctor to determine how much amount of Vitamins and Calcium you require to fulfill your bone requirement.
#Tip 2 – Dietary Modification – You can maintain bone health by eating a balanced diet that contains a range of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and healthy fats. These are important to keep your immune system active and strong which ultimately helps to fight diseases and combat a fracture as early as possible.
#Tip 3 – Physical Activity – Regular exercising, strength training and other weight-bearing exercises can help increase bone density and strength. There are certain exercises that are helpful in reducing knee, hip, or shoulder pain. You must consult with the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi to know about the exercises that help in preventing osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, or post-surgery pain & swelling.
#Tip 4 – Avoid drinking & smoking – Too much alcohol consumption and smoking can weaken bones and raise the risk of fractures. The compounds present in cigarettes prevent the absorption of Calcium in the bones which ultimately leads to fragile and weak bones.
#Tip5 – Consult your doctor – Frequent checkups with your doctor might aid in spotting and treating any bone-related issues early on. You can also consult a good orthopedic doctor if you feel moderate to extreme pain in your knees, hips, shoulders, neck, elbow, or ankles.
#Tip 6 – Take Precautions – Always look after the way of your walk. Take precautions to lower your risk of falling because falling can result in fractures and other injuries. Employ handrails, put on the right shoes, and get rid of tripping dangers around your house.
#Tip 7 – Go for regular Checkups – Always go for a regular checkup with an orthopedic doctor and have your bone density checkup which gives you the data of the bone mineral content and density. A bone density test can help you and your doctor create a plan to enhance bone health by identifying early symptoms of bone loss.
You may support strong and healthy bones all your life by implementing these lifestyle suggestions. These are some of the best tips that will help you in living a healthy lifestyle. You can keep your bones and joints healthy for a longer time. You can book an appointment at Cure My knee for your regular bone density checkup with an orthopedic doctor.
Read more: Dental Technology History: Explained
Veena is a prolific writer, blogger, and social media enthusiast known for her expertise in crafting engaging guest posts and managing successful blogs across various niches. With a passion for writing and a keen understanding of digital marketing trends, Veena has established herself as a prominent voice in the online community.